Mystics and Scientists Agree on the Benefit of Repeating Prayers
Both mystics and scientists have demonstrated the benefits of repetitive prayer.
Hindus and Buddhists tell us that repetition allows the mind to focus on God.
Repetitive prayer is more prominent in Eastern religion than in Christianity, but it is still an important part of religious life in the West. Protestants sing hymns and offer lengthy prayers, depending on the denomination. Catholics recite the rosary repeating the Our Father and the Hail Mary, celebrate the Mass, sing hymns and experience peace in the sounds of ancient Gregorian chants. (The Cathars used to repeat the Lord’s Prayer as many as forty times a day.)
Jewish mystics described a similar feeling after repeating the names of God. They called it a transforming moment in which they entered the highest state of consciousness possible for human beings.
The Eastern Orthodox Church has also preserved a tradition of repetitive prayer.
From the Buddhists and Hindu mala (Sanskrit "garland"), to the Catholic rosary, Anglican prayer beads, to the Muslim misbaja many faiths have a form of prayer beads to track their repetitive prayer rituals.
But for centuries, skeptics pooh-poohed repetitive prayer as a superstition without measurable benefit, often confusing Jesus' remonstration against rote prayer to include all repetitive prayer. Now, science has come to the aid of religion—a doctor at Harvard Medical School documenting beneficial physical effects from repetitive prayer, including the very prayers that monks used for centuries.
Many who decree have also felt this oneness with God.
Experience With Repetitive Prayer
Ann, who has decreed for fifteen years, says:
"You get to a point where you feel that your I AM Presence is decreeing through you, that you're the vessel and that the I AM Presence is doing the work. You are connected to God; but it's not your power, it's God's. You're in sync with God. It's a high that’s different from any artificial high that you could get."
Read the about the effects of chanting on monks: The Energizing Power of Gregorian Chants
- Your Real Self
- The Mind-Body Connection of Prayer
- Sound The Energy Of Creation
- Spoken Prayer Is More Effective than Silent Prayer
- Multicultural Traditions of Prayer
- According To God's Will?
- Effectiveness of Decrees and Mantras: Stories and Studies
Exploring the Power of the Spoken Word
- What Is The Science Of The Spoken Word
- God's Name Is The Password
- I AM Affirmations
- Decrees - A Tool for Spiritual Acceleration
- Connect With the Energy of Your Higher Self
- Why Ask God More Than Once?
- Mystics And Scientists Agree On Repetition Of Prayer
- Decrees are Like Spiritual Letters
- Prayers - What Do You Want?
- Prayers - Getting Results
- The Violet Flame
- Mastering The Art And Science Of Spoken Prayer
- Decrees - Listen And Experiment
Books on Prayer, Meditation and the Science of the Spoken Word
- I Am Your Guard - How Archangel Michael Can Protect You
- The Science of the Spoken Word
- Creative Power of Sound: Affirmations to Create, Heal and Transform
- Prayer and Meditation
- The Chela and the Path: Keys to Soul Mastery in the Aquarian Age